The New Rochelle Police Department held their Memorial & Awards Ceremony on Tuesday, May 16 at the Greentree Country Club. City, police and law enforcement officials gathered with families and community leaders to pay tribute to the New Rochelle Police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty, and recognize the accomplishments of current department members.
Police Officer Leticia Lua was named Office of the Year, Detective Matthew Velasco received New Rochelle Chamber Investigator of the Year Award, and Community Service Officer Elmo Palomino was honored as Civilian Employee of the Year.
“This important ceremony remembers those officers who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and recognizes the valuable work done by our members this past year,” said Commissioner Robert Gazzola.
The following awards were also presented:
Police Memorial Essay Award
- 1st Place: Ruthie Goldman, Ward Elementary School
- 2nd Place: Juan Pablo Barragan, Columbus Elementary School
- 3rd Place: Sloane Scheffler, Ward Elementary School
Empress Ambulance Lifesaving Award
- Police Officer Adrian Pina
- Police Officer Maria Vasquez
Community Engagement and Outreach Award
Police Commissioner’s Award
- Sergeant Christopher Carelli
- Detective Nicole DeCarlo
- Detective Robert Johnson
- Detective Oisin McGloin
- Police Officer Carlos Jimenez
VIEW FULL LIST OF AWARDEES