With Halloween coming up next week, the New Rochelle Police Department reminds families to be safe while trick-or-treating, or hosting trick-or-treaters. To highlight their top safety tips, members of the NRPD teamed up with Boy Scout Troop 15, Cub Scout Pack 1 and their families, along with Rochelle Heights neighbors Kavite Singh and Carlos Quezaba to create a video that will be shared this week on social media.
“Halloween is one of the most fun nights of the year for kids, and we want to be sure it’s a safe night as well,” said Police Commissioner Robert Gazzola. “Thank you to the officers, scouts and homeowners who came together to create this video, that stresses our top tips for trick-or-treaters and their hosts.”
The following safety tips were provided by Officer Nicole DeCarlo, Officer Anthony Sabatino, Officer Maria Vasquez and Detective Melissa Diniz.
1) Costume safety: wearing properly-fitting masks and costumes; adding reflectors, glowsticks or flashlights to be seen at night
2) Choosing a familiar neighborhood and obeying traffic safety signals
3) Group safety: being accompanied by an adult, and establishing a meeting point if you get lost. NEVER entering the home of someone you don’t know. And, being respectful while on someone’s property.
4) Candy caution: Not eating anything unless checked by an adult, and never eat candy that is unwrapped.
5) Pet precautions: If you bring your pet along, be sure they can walk safely.
6) For Halloween hosts: watch out for candies that contain nuts, and be sure the area that trick-or-treaters are entering are clean, safe, and well-lit.
7) In case of emergency, call 9-1-1.