Disaster Recovery Centers have been established in Mamaroneck and Yonkers to assist New Yorkers. Recovery specialists from FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration are available to answer questions and to help people apply for assistance from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily until further notice. The NYS Department of Financial Services, which regulates insurance companies and other important agencies, is also available. You do not have to reside in Yonkers or Mamaroneck to receive assistance from the centers. Each site is open to all Westchester residents.
Before you apply for FEMA assistance, here are the steps you need to take to start your recovery process:
- Take photos of your damaged home and belongings.
- Make a list of damaged/lost items.
- If you have insurance, file a claim with your carrier. You must receive a rejection letter or statement indicating the gap in coverage before you can recover from FEMA, but apply as soon as you can. If you believe your insurer’s decision is inaccurate, please reach out to the NYS Department of Financial Services’ Disaster Hotline – (800) 339-1759.
How to apply for Federal Assistance:
- To apply online, visit disasterassistance.gov
To apply in-person, visit a Disaster Recovery Center
- Grinton I. Will Library1500 Central Park Ave, Yonkers, NY 10710
- Mamaroneck Village Courthouse 169 Mount Pleasant Ave, Mamaroneck, NY 10543
- To apply by phone, call FEMA toll-free at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362). If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use a Text Telephone (TTY), call 800-462-7585.
CLEAN UP SAFELY!
View tips from the CDC