In January 2023, the New York State Thruway Authority has started a three-year project to replace the North Avenue bridge, which is located above a section of the I-95 New England Thruway. Improvements will include a wider overpass structure, a dedicated left turn lane on North Avenue onto Garden Street, and more efficient traffic flow in the area.
March 8, 2023: Stage 1 begins
To allow for the outer portions of the existing bridge to removed and replaced (see graphic below), the new traffic pattern will allow cars, buses, and other vehicles with three axles or less to use two lanes in the center of the bridge- one in each direction.
- First responders, cars, buses, delivery trucks, and vehicles with three axles or less have access to the bridge at all times.
- Left turns from North Avenue to Garden Street are prohibited; a detour is provided utilizing Lockwood Avenue to Memorial Highway.
- Left turns from Garden Street to North Avenue are prohibited; a detour is provided utilizing Cedar Street to Huguenot Street.
- Vehicles with more than three axles are not allowed through the construction zone; a truck detour is provided.
- Burling Lane between North Avenue and May Street is closed for the duration of the project.
- The left-turn lane on Station Plaza North is part of the work zone; two lanes remain open to traffic and motorists can continue to turn left onto North Avenue.
- Pedestrian/bicycle traffic will use the walkway over I-95 connecting at Burling Lane and the train station throughout the project.
- All local businesses remain accessible.