Installation or Removal Permits
The following permits are for installation or removal and require more information submitted along with the application:
- Fire Alarm System Installation Fire Alarm System Application
- Fixed Fire Suppression System Fixed Fire Suppression Application
- Hazardous Materials and Locations (See Hazardous Materials Tab)
- Oil burner Oil Burner Application
- Oil Tank installation (also gasoline) Oil Tank Installation Application
- Oil Tank removal (also gasoline) Oil Tank Removal / Closure Application
- Sprinkler system Sprinkler System Application
- Standpipe system Standpipe System Application
- Public Assembly Public Assembly Application
Fire Alarm System Installation
- When applying for a commercial or multiple family Fire Alarm installation, the following items shall be submitted: the application filled out completely, plans (blueprints), with an architect’s or engineer’s stamp, the information sheets (cut sheets), for the alarm devices.
- After the application is submitted, it will be reviewed, to determine if any changes need to be made. The installation may begin after the review is completed.
- Once the installation is completed, the Code Enforcement Officer will test the system with the installer to determine if all the devices are working properly.
Fixed Fire Suppression System
- When applying for a Fixed Fire Suppression System installation, the application must be filled out completely and a set of plans (blueprints) with an architect’s or engineer’s stamp must be submitted.
- After the application is submitted, it will be reviewed to determine if any changes need to be made. The installation may begin after the review is completed. NFPA 96 and NYS Fire and Building Codes must be followed.
- Once the installation is completed the Code Enforcement Officer will test the system with the installer to determine if the system is installed correctly and it is in proper working condition.
Oil BurnerWhen installing a new or replacement burner, the installer must have a New Rochelle Oil Burner Installer’s License. An application shall be submitted before the work is started.
To obtain an Oil Burner Installer’s License contact Fire Prevention at 914-654-2213.
Oil Tank installation and removal (also gasoline)
- Tanks may be installed in basements or underground. We do not allow above ground tanks in the City of New Rochelle. All tanks must be installed by a licensed New Rochelle oil burner installer.
- When removing a tank, it must be pumped out and then completely cleaned out. Upon the removal of the tank, Fire Department personnel must be present. If the tank is found to be defective, a spill number is assigned and reported to the DEC.
- If the tank is to be left in place, the tank must be pumped out and completely cleaned. Soil samples are required, (less then 1000 gallons require 2 samples, 1000 gallon and above require 3 samples). Once the samples are confirmed to be clean the tank must be filled with slurry, (this is the only material that is approved by the City of New Rochelle). When filling the tank with slurry the Fire Department personnel must be present.
Sprinkler and/or Standpipe system
- When applying for a sprinkler or standpipe installation, you must submit the application filled out completely. NFPA, Chapter 22 explains all the items that need to be submitted with the application.
- After the application is submitted, it will be reviewed to determine if any changes need to be made. The installation may begin after the review is completed.
- Once the pipe is installed, a roughing inspection must be completed by the Code Enforcement Officer. This is to determine if the pipe is installed in the proper location and that the hangers are installed properly.
- After the roughing inspection, the ceilings may be closed up and the rest of the system may be completed.
- Once the system is completely installed, a 2 hour hydrostatic test must be performed.