Historical and Landmarks Review Board
Prior to making any change to your home or property that is visible from the street, please refer to the Historical District guidelines brochure (quick links, upper right.) Work including: new roofs, window replacement, siding, painting, addition or removal or change to any impervious surfaces on site or landscaping work will require a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Board.
1. An application for a building permit must be submitted to the Buildings Department, Ground Floor of City Hall.
2. The Buildings Department will review the application for completeness and decide if approval from the Historical and Landmarks Review Board is required.
3. If the Building Department determines that board approval is required, it will issue a letter to the applicant referring the case to the HLRB.
4. A complete HLRB application must then be submitted to the Department of Development with a copy of the letter from Buildings. Please check the HLRB calendar for monthly application deadlines. This deadline refers to the submission of a complete application package to the Department of Development and the payment of the application fee. This is NOT the date of submission to Buildings.
5. Complete applications constitute the following items:
- Certificate of Appropriateness Application Form
- Photographs of existing site and adjacent properties on 8 1/2 by 11 paper
- One set of plans for the site on full-size paper
- PDF of plans (send to Kevin Kain, Director of Planning & Sustainability at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Samples and color documentation of materials to be used (please bring in actual samples to the HLRB hearing)
- $110 check written out to the "City of New Rochelle"
- Any additional materials as requested
- Referral Letter from the Buildings Department
6. Once an application is received by Development the case will be placed on the next available HLRB agenda subject to correct noticing. See application documents (link below) for details and the standard notice letter.
7. HLRB meetings are recorded and are available for viewing on the City’s website: newrochelleny.com Government/View Council and Board meetings. Watching a meeting is a good way to understand the meeting format and process.
8. If the application is approved, a COA will be issued. This must be displayed prominently on the property, most commonly in a front window, until all work is completed.
The Historical and Landmarks Review Board (HLRB) is a 7-member City board, first appointed by the City Council in 1985 to preserve New Rochelle's past and raise awareness of the City's rich history. The members are all local residents, volunteers, and knowledgeable in local history. The HLRB recommends the designation of districts and landmarks to the City Council and reviews all exterior renovations and new construction in the local historic district.
The Board receives grants periodically for various historic preservation projects. The HLRB is committed to identifying, maintaining, and perpetuating the historic elements that make New Rochelle unique.
Click here for Certificate of Appropriateness Application Form
Click here for Letter of Notification to Neighbors
For more information on the HLRB, contact the Department of Development at 914-654-2185.
*Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month. View meeting calendar.
James Fleming (Chair)
Albert L. Gordon
Resources and Reference Materials
The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1739/secretary-standards-treatment-historic-properties.htm
The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation & Illustrated Guidelines on Sustainability for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1739/upload/sustainability-guidelines.pdf
The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation & Illustrated Guidelines on Sustainability for Rehabilitating Historic Buildingshttps://www.nps.gov/orgs/1739/upload/sustainability-guidelines.pdf
NYS Historic Preservation Office https://parks.ny.gov/shpo/